Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Near Notable Near Sightings Near WSOP

I haven't been doing anything with this space, it usually feels too narcissistic to think anyone is interested in my experiences as a grinder. But this week I encountered more "names" than usual. It would appear that some people think the offerings at the Venetians Deep Stack Extravaganza are either a better value than, or possibly a good tune-up for, the WSOP offerings. This week I've played in the same event (but not at the same table) as Steve Dannenman (we both cashed, but I finished deeper!). I saw Jamie Gold playing in an event the following day, and last night I looked up to see Dan Harrington on the rail just next to my table. His co-author Bill Robertie was seated one table over from me, but I didn't last long enough to see how he finished (though we both cashed). I wouldn't have been surprised to see any of these people at the Rio.

I'm both disappointed and encouraged at my recent results. I've entered 5 $340 events in the last 2 weeks and I've made the money in the last 3 of them. I think that speaks well for consistency, but I've been unable to finish better than 18th (18th, 54th, 33rd) in some fairly large fields (371, 543, 649, 654, 677). I may try a larger buyin event, but I'm not sure if anything smaller is as good a value.

There. I wrote something.

No comments: